Environmental Health & Safety Specialist
This position will be responsible for managing various Environmental Health, Safety, and Security programs. Acting as the local SME, the position will provide technical EHS leadership to onsite managers and their departments. Responsibility will be to establish at a minimum, compliance with government regulations such as OSHA and EPA. Program development and improvements will strive to achieve best practices by applying working knowledge of ANSI, NFPA, IBC and ergonomic best practices. Proactive programs that meet the needs of the business will be emphasized, rather than reactive approaches. This position will also be responsible for the development and management the site emergency response and building security programs.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED FOR POSITION:
- Bachelor’s degree in Risk Management, Occupational Safety and Health, Environmental Science, Industrial Hygine, Chemistry, Industrial Engineering with specialization in Ergonomics, or related field.
- Master’s degree and/or CPE, CHFP, ASP, CS, GSP, or OHST certification preferred.
- A minimum of 2+ years of experience working in relevant field.
- Must have strong oral and written communication skills, together with strong organizational skills, prioritization and attention to detail.
- Motivated self-starter with ability to work independently or with others in cross-functional project teams.
- Familiarity with OSHA, ANSI, EPA, and NFPA is required.
- This position may involve exposure to moving machinery, lift trucks, UV light, biohazards, and hazardous chemicals.
- Ability to lift/carry 25 lbs.
- Bend, stoop, kneel and/or stand for extended periods of time.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE:
- Proven leader – has demonstrated leadership skill in previous positions, including situations where conflict, emotion, or emergency situations are present.
- Technical knowledge – Working Knowledge of applicable regulations and standards.
- Change agent – proven track record of supporting/driving organizational change towards EHS performance.
- Able to problem solve and formulate strategies involving EHS related issues.
- Outstanding communication skills – oral, written, and presentations. Projects a sense of integrity.
- Passion for excellence.
- Interpret and apply Federal, state and local regulations to local company policies, procedures, and work instructions.
- Assist in the development of EHS metrics for the site, monitor and review progress.
- Manage and track completion of safety suggestions and post-accident corrective actions.
- Act as the primary contact for EHS related internal audits and regulatory inspections such as OSHA.
- Carry out site EHS audits to ensure compliance.
- Maintain EHS records for inspection during external and corporate audits.
- Manage the lockout / tagout program, including equipment specific procedures.
- Partner with site leadership to develop and manage a proactive muscular skeletal injury prevention program, which may include ergonomic training, stretching programs, task rotation, work station evaluations, and selection of ergonomic tools.
- Establish and oversee the Emergency Response Team, including organizing specific training, sending out reminders, providing clear direction to all employee on emergency response procedures, and providing leadership when responding to emergency situations.
- Manage the Safety Committee and participate on the Safety Board.
- Electronically maintain Safety Data Sheets to ensure compliance with OSHA.
- Conduct in person EHS training and coordinate online training for personnel at all levels of the organization, which may include large group training sessions.
- Manage the security program, including security badge maintenance, oversight of security contractors, enforcement of visitor sign-in program, incident investigation, employee awareness training, first line of defense training for front desk staff, and temporary employee security access program.
- Provides support in review of new equipment and in the specifications of safety controls.
- Provide primary assistance regarding personal protective equipment including, safety glasses, gloves, respiratory protection, hearing protection, foot wear and body protection.
- Manages collection and disposal of Hazardous, Non Hazardous, and universal Wastes.
- Work cross functionally to fully engage employees, contractors and vendors in the EHS process, expectations, and requirements.
- Assist with machine guarding evaluations.
- Oversees biosafety and blood borne pathogen programs.
- Have basic understanding of behavior based safety concepts and application for maintaining proactive EHS programs.
- Other duties as assigned.
Cantel Medical is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities as well as other qualified individuals are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin or other protected class status.
← Back to search