Jr. Embedded Software Engineer
About this Job
Doble Engineering is looking for a dynamic engineer to join the Embedded team. This role will be a great opportunity for someone seeking a new challenge in developing cutting edge products within the power industry. The position applies technical expertise towards software and systems solutions of complex technical designs that leverage your creativity and experience. The candidate needs a passion for problem solving and enjoys developing in the embedded environment to control hardware systems.
Please note: this position is presently located in Watertown, MA but will be relocating to Marlborough, MA in the fall of 2019. All applicants must have reliable transportation to both locations. The Marlborough office will not be accessible via public transit.
Essential Job Functions
• Designing, developing, testing and documenting software components and applications in a Linux environment.
• Work with hardware/electrical systems and electrical theory.
• Focus on embedded real-time, multi processor systems but comfortable with design of PC based applications.
• Work with engineering project teams to provide technical solutions.
• Developing technical requirements gathering, estimating, and planning efforts
• Leverage internal component reusability and open source solutions to improve time to market.
• Develop products to promote the ease of implementing automated test suites.
• Familiar with message bus technologies and implementations.
• Develop clear development metrics for testing status and progress monitoring dashboards.
• Develop a skill set to be a key person to technically triage customer issues, as needed interface to the customer.
• Interest in career growth, learning and professional development activities.
• Interfacing with mechanical, electrical, systems, and test engineers.
• Identifying and implementing process and development environment improvements.
• Willingness and excited to assume increased responsibility.
• Travel requirement: less than 5%
• Responsible working with development and project managers to assist in technical decision making.
• Work with other product teams on solutions.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering
• 0-4 years of work experience in firmware and software development.
• Solid understanding or real-rime embedded system design.
• Experience working on new projects implemented in Ubuntu/ embedded linux.
• Skilled in developing C / C++ applications, ideally for embedded Linux on Xilinx and TI processors.
• Team communication and collaboration experience (Such as a wiki)
• Experience working new product development with hardware teams.
• Understand DSP FPGA/CPLD implementations
• Ability to quickly prototype new concepts and ideas
• Ability to provide creativity while solving complex problems without known solutions
• Ability to assess new technologies via comprehensive reviews of the state-of-the-art
• Skills in one or more scripting languages such as TCL, Python and Perl. • Ability to express ideas clearly in written and oral communications.
• Strong technical capabilities of a developer combined with a passion for assuring product quality.
OTHER HELPFUL EDUCATION OR EXPERIENCE-
• Experience Linux applications.
• Experience working with Atlassian Jira, Confluence and Bitbucket products.
• Experience using test equipment to test and verify the performance of power electronics and power system hardware.
• Experience with IEEE 61850, IEEE 1588 PTP, Python, ZMQ, and Linux board support is desirable.
• Experience or the desire to learn about utility power systems.
• Experience working in both waterfall and agile engineering environment.
• Experience with embedded and host applications developed in C, C++, C# and .NET.
• Familiarity and experience working with Matlab, Linux, and scripting languages.
• Experience or knowledge in applied physics and electrical engineering.
• Knowledge of network equipment including protectors, relays, transformers and power cable.
• Strong communication skills that interweave presentation skills with the problem solving process.
• Strong interpersonal skill set.
• Well-developed technical writing skills.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES -
Knowledge of scripting and programming languages including C/C++ and Perl/Python. Experience in embedded multiprocessor systems, software/hardware
While performing the duties of this job the employee is often required to stand, sit, use computers, read, write, type, use fax machines, use copy machines, file paperwork, use telephones, and utilize written and oral communication to interact with clients and co-workers. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions of this job.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that values the strength diversity brings to the workplace. All qualified applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetics, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law, are strongly encouraged to apply.
Doble Engineering Company will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because such employee or applicant has inquired about, discussed, or disclosed the compensation of the employee or applicant or another employee or applicant.
About Doble Engineering
By joining Doble, you will have an opportunity to make an impact in building a better future for the electric power industry.
Our People are the Power of Doble Engineering. Doble is devoted to supporting our clients across the globe to ensure the reliable flow of power. We do this through diagnostic software and test equipment, consulting services, as well as educational events and training. After being in business almost 100 years, Doble is still constantly looking for new and innovational solutions to respond to the changes and challenges in our industry through cutting edge technology and an energetic, service oriented and knowledgeable team. Doble values individuals who want to be part of a winning team. We believe in a corporate culture that promotes team work, individual growth, diversity, family values, and fun. By joining Doble, you will have an opportunity to make an impact in building a better future for the electric power industry.
← Back to search