Service Technician Intern
Support and assist various projects as assigned within the Company’s Operations Department. These projects will be assigned consistent with the Company’s Internship Program with an emphasis on developing an understanding of the Company’s multiple business units and enhancing the intern’s ability to apply his/her education in a business environment.
The Summer Internship Program at Black Hills Energy is far from ordinary. You will tackle a real-world project and present it to members of our Executive Team. These projects are designed to enhance your communication and teamwork skills, as you will be collaborating with individuals across all functions within our organization. You will also work alongside professionals in your field, gaining in-depth knowledge about the energy industry and your chosen field of expertise.
At the end of your internship, all of our Summer Interns are invited to our corporate headquarters in Rapid City, South Dakota for an entire week (all expenses paid)! You will tour our different facilities, hear from professionals around the company, and present your final project. This trip helps tie together all you have learned. We hope you finish out our program with an understanding of what it takes to turn the lights on, and to keep them on for our customers across eight states.
PAY: $18 per hour
CLOSING DATE: This position will remain open until filled.
LOCATION: Lincoln, NE
Intern Relocation Adjustment Allowance of $1,000.00 is offered for the purpose of assisting with various expenses associated with your relocation for the internship (less applicable taxes and based on eligibility). Contents of our relocation program are subject to change and may vary based on position.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Field Operations Supervisor
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Attend and participate in classroom and on-the-job training in appliance repair and installation, utility systems and operations and emergency procedures in order to develop company knowledge and technical competencies.
- Develop practical knowledge of recordkeeping systems associated with service and repair functions to ensure an accurate information system is maintained.
- Develop awareness of company emphasis on customer satisfaction and safe work practices, including driving, to represent the company appropriately while on the job.
- Operate company vehicle and maintain parts inventory and tools according to company standards and policies to ensure the delivery of safe and efficient service.
- Perform other related tasks as apparent or assigned, including but not limited to leak survey work, line locating, foreign construction, storekeeping, meter reading, chart changing, transporting appliances and equipment, and fleet and facilities maintenance to ensure efficient operation of the work unit.
- Maintain strong working relationships within Operations Department.
- Maintain supportive and respectful working relationships with all Black Hills Corporation employees and departments.
- None required.
- College student pursuing HVAC or Electrical degree.
- Basic knowledge of appliance repair or HVAC systems preferred.
- Must have positive customer relations orientation including the ability to communicate effectively with employees, customers and industry representative.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Attention to detail required.
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate with employees and various business contacts in a professional and courteous manner.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of business, employee and applicant information.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and possess a safe driving record.
- Participation in the Company’s Industry Orientation Experiences, which will include some travel.
- Prepare and present a synopsis of experience with the Company at the end of the internship.
- Applicant must be able to perform the essential job functions of the position with or without accommodation.
About our Company: We are a customer focused, growth-oriented utility company that is devoted to our communities. We have a mission to improve life with energy and a vision to be the energy partner of choice. Our diverse culture sparks unique perspectives, opening doors to new ideas and possibilities. Based in Rapid City, South Dakota, we have over 2800 employees and serve 1.2 million natural gas and electric utility customers across eight states (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Arkansas).
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically.
Black Hills Energy does not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
We are an EEO Employer.
← Back to search